When Spam Looks Really Real

Share

I received an email today.  It appeared real.  Anyone might have thought it real.  Here is how it read.

ADOBE PDF READER 2012 UPGRADE NOTIFICATION

This is to remind that a new version of Adobe Acrobat Reader 2012 with enhanced features for viewing, creating, editing, printing and internet-sharing PDF documents has been released.
To upgrade your application:

+ Go to http://www.2012-acrobat-software-upgrade.com
+ Get your options, download and upgrade.

Copyright 2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Adobe Systems Incorporated
343 Preston Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 1N4
Canada

THIS IS A HOAX.  For starters, Adobe Reader is at version X (10), specifically 10.1.3.  It has never been referred to by year.  Next, Adobe does not send email notifications of upgrades, not even to me, a registered user.  Upgrade notices are generated by the program when you use it or by a memory-resident icon on the taskbar, never by email.

What will happen if you download the program from the spam email site?  I can’t tell you.  I had no interest in being the guinea pig.  What I can tell you is that anyone who so clearly violates trade name rules, is up to no good. 

This has been your spam warning for the day!

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "When Spam Looks Really Real"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    May 28, 2012 2:10 PM

    You know i dont usual comment, but i genuinely like your blog and i thought i would introduce myself. I have been reading it for awhile but this is my 1st comment.

TheHighCalling.org Christian Blog Network